Saturday, June 25, 2011

Guys, seriously, build a bridge and get over it.

Yesterday was a rest day. I didn't run, but I did finally get to swim, which felt good but tiring. This morning the plan was a 45-60 minute easy run. I did 56 minutes and felt good. Also, I'm thinking about adjusting the training plan since it's not going to be ending with a marathon. Sundays are the long run days and I'm thinking about halving the distance over ten miles (13 instead of 16, 15 instead of 20, etc.). I don't really see the point of doing 22 mile runs. And I'm thinking of doing a half marathon in September now. I've run them before, but never raced one, which would probably be a good idea before trying to race a marathon.

Obvious to other people; a new idea to me.

Also, I'm thinking about volunteering for that stupid sold-out marathon. The better to judge everyone.



Side note 1: Marriage is now legal for gays in New York. Huzzah! And now I can add "unmarried" to other things that are wrong with me. Here's a link to a New York Times article but before you click it, remember that you only get to read so many online articles for free now. I'm still annoyed at The New York Times over this. Link.

Side note 2: So far this calendar year, I have seen two movies in theaters. In May I went to my younger sister's graduation and one night we (my two sisters and two of my brothers) went to see Bridesmaids. It was still newly out in theaters and newly on my radar since one day at the library I was paging through Harper's Bazaar (a rare occurrence for me, believe it or not) and almost passed out with excitement when I immediately recognized Sookie St. James. I love her! (Gilmore Girls, obviously, and The Nines.)



I also recognized Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph, but somehow didn't recognize the other three who I actually know better--that girl from The Office, Clem from Reno 911, and Rose Byrne.

Anyway, I liked it. It was funny, but my favorite part was her (Kristen Wiig's) perfect little pity party where she makes herself a cupcake. It spoke to me.

Then last week I saw X-Men: First Class. It kind of surprised me by being the most stylish movie I've seen in a while. And I liked the story.



That poster's from here.

2 comments:

jason said...

I gotta ask...where's your "build a bridge" line from?
It's perfect.
Gotta remember that.

Every time I read about your training, I'm in bed....and it always motivates me to finally get my lazy ass out of bed...well, almost always.
So, um...thank you.

Oh, and that cupcake scene is one of the better versions of that time honored chick flick convention: forlorn eating.
They managed to do something novel with it.

Speaking of which, I'm embarrassed to say I've seen Bridesmaids three times already.
Three.
I'm about to see Midnight in Paris for the third time too, so it balances out, right?
Maybe not.

Frontier Psychiatrist said...

Jason--Summer Heights High, where that "all the fat girls here just make us look skinnier" is from too. You should check it out--you would like it.

That kind of sums up how I felt about Bridesmaids--they did something novel with a chick flick. I need to see it again and I need to see Midnight in Paris. And I approve of your repeat movie-going.