Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The only reason I would take up jogging is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.

I've decided to run a marathon this fall, so until October I will be Blogging With A Purpose.

I'm doing the Runner's World training plan, which technically started yesterday, but that was a "rest" day, so I rested from blogging an update. Today I jumped right in with a 4x1-mile repeats at a "cruise" pace.

Some background: I came up with this brilliant idea when I went to "watch" my father run the Boston Marathon in April. I took the train in to Boston from Hopkinton, where we were staying, and watched the finish. It was oddly exciting since I've been pretty much over competitive running since college. Anyway, I decided "I can do that!" (Win a marathon, not just finish one. Haha.) So I started running sporadically, which became several times a week. Before I officially started this training plan the furthest I'd run (since starting up again in April) was 9.3 miles and the fastest was an 8-mile run at about a 7:00 pace.

Back to today's "cruise intervals"--a 7:00 marathon pace would have been 6:19 miles. A 6:00 pace would be 5:25 miles. A 6:30 pace (which Runner's World doesn't give you and I had to figure out on my own) would be 5:52. I did 5:38, 5:57, 6:02, and 6:02. I'm pretty sure they weren't supposed to almost kill me, but they did. Thank God some hot guy started working out on the track during my last two (this is why you should always do speedwork on a college track). With the 15-minute warm-up and cool-down, I figure I did 7.5-8 miles today.

Tomorrow's just 4 miles, so I should be able to do that no problem.

Some pictures to give you an idea of how hot I look running:






Exercise side note: I'm going to start swimming again too. Actually it was supposed to start yesterday, but the Y by me was doing their "annual pool maintenance" Sunday through today, so it should start tomorrow. The point is, you know how every magazine is always showing short-ish retro-ish trunks? But whenever I go to my usual high-end stores (Gap), all they have are normal boardshorts from 1999. But Old Navy actually has some that are pretty flattering and on sale (or they were yesterday).



On the Old Navy website they're currently sitting with a 1.5-out-of-5 star rating and this one review: "had to return these because they were WAY to short!" Ha. Of course I bought a pair.

4 comments:

jason said...

You're back! yEAY!
But I applaud the short trunks...whole heartedly.
However, those and the running stuff you'll have to do on your own.
Good luck!

Frontier Psychiatrist said...

Jason--It actually feels good to be back. My idea is to do a running update every day and then write whatever if inspiration strikes. Obviously I'll need luck with that.

And they're really not that short. They have a 7" inseam. Adequate.

jason said...

Oh, I was just reading about shorts' inseams today (yeah, I know...but it's true)
here:

http://bondclothes.blogspot.com/

Maybe your running update will inspire me to run! Ok, so lets not push it....so maybe to get out of the house at least. Maybe.

Feng said...

I, too, have been waiting for shorts to get short again. I found some 6 in. inseam trunks in a Lands End catalog, but they lack the front pockets I prefer (I use them as walking, biking shorts).

http://www.landsend.com/pp/6034FloralVolleyShorts~220917_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PT6&CM_MERCH=IDX_Men-_-ShortsSwimwear-_-6InchInseam&origin=index

Shorts that are past your knees are PANTS!